Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Watching Children Play


It is a wonderful feeling to find your children playing by themselves. I know that sitting here watching them play is a wonderful feeling. I am so amazed that not only can they play together, but each of them can play on there own. I love that feeling. Watching Captain N watch is brother and then start doing the same motions is such an amazing feeling. He loves to watch his brother play. But at the same time, the things he comes up with on his own.

I often wonder why we spend so much money on some of these toys because my children have so much more fun with a laundry basket, pots and pans, a box and my Tupperware. Not that the trucks that they have are not fun for them to play with, but they love playing with things that are not "toys."

I often think about all of the "advantages" we have for our children. Our tv, games, computers, game systems, cable is really an advantage. What are they learning? We have so many wonderful tools at our fingertips, but at the same time where is the imagination going? I really wonder.


I know as a parent, especially when I am tired it is so easy to put on Sponge bob Square pants and let the tv babysit the kids while I get some things done. I often wonder how my mother did so much. She worked part time, our house was always clean and we always had food on the table. I can't figure out how to do all of that, and still have time to spend with my children.

I am so lucky not to have to put my children in day care. That is a blessing for me. I get to interact with my children all day long, watch them play, teach them and help them grow. I am not worried about watching my children learn from others. I am not worried about who is taking care of them and what they are teaching them. But I am very fortuante to be in a situation to be able to do that. It is not something that alot of families are able to do. Most have to work, and that is wonderful what they are providing for there children.

We all have sacrafices that we have to make. But following our heart and what we have avaliable to you, you can make the decision that fits you.

No comments: