Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Years Resolution

The other day I got a phone call from a friend.  She was concerned because she heard of a house fire on my mother's street.  Luckily it was far enough away from my mother's house that I did not have to worry about something happening to my parents home.

When I got home and saw the fire on the news, I was sad for the family.  They were a young family, and their oldest daughter had a 3 month old child.  I know that one of my biggest fears that I have is the fact that I want to teach my children the value of waiting until they are married before having sex.  I hate seeing that there are so many young people that are in the news that are having babies.

I was also sad because I knew that this family was renting the house so they had to start over.  They said that they do not have renters insurance, which is so important, because  they have to start over.  With the economy the way that it is it is difficult to get things going and started, and they have a long road ahead of them.

In my every day life I have noticed that I am longing for so many different material possessions, they are possessions that we would all love to have.  A larger home, better things.  After hearing stories like that, I have started thinking that maybe I just need to start focusing on what I have.  Being grateful that we have a house.  Our children have plenty of clothes and toys and food to eat.  We have 2 cars that run just fine.  We are blessed, God has given us so much.

Being blessed in the material possessions is wonderful, we are not hurting for anything.  Now I am longing to be blessed with the love, with the feeling of self worth.  Finding the blessing that I am a special child of God and God has a wonderful plan for me.  I want to be someone that has a pure heart.  I want to live out his beatitudes.

I have decided that my New Years Resolution is to find the beatitudes that are out there, and find a way that I can start to simply incorporate them into my daily life with simple, small changes.

No comments: